Emmanuel, God with us!
Emmanuel – this is the name we have chosen for the church in Coxen Hole. God is awesome…
Time goes by fast; it is seven years now since we moved to Roatán, and we can see how the Lord has been working in our lives, our family and our church and He is still providing what is necessary to help us to improve our ministry. Today we can see how God works and provides for every need at the right moment.
A few years ago we started praying for financial support to buy a property to build the church in Coxen Hole (Emmanuel). Back in August, the land was purchased and the site cleared, andwe are very grateful that now we have the privilege of worshiping God on our own property – the congregation erected a temporary tarp under which to meet at the site.
The architect for the Diocese, Jack Melvin, is an American volunteering time in Honduras. The design of the church is still being finalized, but in his sketch of what the church would look like when completed.
The plan is that the church building will be initially used partly as a church and partly as a sewing centre, and that an adjacent sewing centre will be added on as the church fills. It is also proposed that the church should be a hurricane centre, but this is likely to add considerably to the cost of the building.
We continue to pray for the planting of the church congregation and for financial support to build the church building. The Lord has provided and he will provide for us to continue serving Him through these projects and through our regular ministry.
Great progress continues with the property: Both electrical and water connections have now been made as well as a better base for the temporary church under the tarp at the site. Installation of a septic system has been delayed by days of rain, but will go ahead as soon as the rain stops, and hopefully before a short term team arrives. A small four person team from New Brunswick will arrive January 18th to build a shed to store church stuff and construction materials, while a two person team from BC is volunteering to go to take photographs in Roatán and help with evangelism. Please pray for good weather.
Since the Brick Bay church was built in the early 90’s, the congregation has experienced many funerals but never a wedding. To the glory of God, on Christmas eve, Kara married a couple who had been living together for 30 years. This provided a special opportunity for the community to come together and prepare food, decorate, etc.
Kara continues meeting with a Pastors’ wives’ prayer group every Monday, and this is really a blessing for her.
Other recent activities have been:
· Delivering a Christmas banquet to the poor on December 20th
Special Christmas church services
· Week night Bible teaching in both congregations
· Outreach and home visitation around the community of Coxen Hole
· Youth preparations for the Happening*
· Sunday school in the Coxen Hole church every Sunday
· Teaching Biblical courses Levels 1-3
· Youth group meetings
· Happening* weekend January 18th – 19th
· Canadian short-term team** mission January 18th – 25th – including construction, Vacation Bible School, home visitation
· Construction of the church building in Coxen Hole which may begin as early as March
A Special Appeal:
After a few years, our budget has had a necessary increase. We would greatly appreciate your continued financial support and wonder if you wish to make a donation towards our mission at this time. Here is SAMS Canada’s mailing address:
PO Box 21082,
Barrie, ON L4M 6J1
Telephone: (705) 728-7151
Fax: (705) 728-6716
SAMS Canada is a registered non-profit organization supported by tax-deductible donations (Reg. No. 10795 2228 0001). Donations to support our mission can be sent to the above address or by credit card through the SAMS website: www.samscanada.ca.
For your Prayers:
We are very grateful to God for your prayers and financial support, as part of God’s plan for the church in Roatan. Please continue to pray for:
· Safe travel for the team** coming from NB and Vancouver to Roatán January 18th-24th
· The Happening* Youth event being held in Roatán from January 17th to 19th (first time in Roatán!), for safe travel for the Happening team coming from Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula
· Both our congregations: Brick Bay and especially for our church in Coxen Hole to reach out to others near the site so they can see Christ through our church and find this place to worship Him
· A finalized design of the church and sewing project center
· Funding to permit construction to be initiated early in 2014 and for the participation of short-term teams from Canada and the USA.
* Happening is a weekend experience for youth, a powerful instrument of renewal in the church with the purpose of concentrating on the person and teaching of Jesus Christ. It is an experience that gives those who attend the desire to serve God through His church.
**There are many opportunities for individuals and teams to serve in Roatán, Honduras, so please contact us: email@example.com or SAMS Canada for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please share this blog with your parish and your friends: nelsonandkara.wordpress.com
“Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!” …“Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus….” (Luke 1:28-31)
Christmas is the time to rejoice in the glories of Christ’s birth and celebrate all the blessings of the Holy Spirit with your friends, family, may God continue to richly bless you in the New Year.
New Year’s Card for you here
Nelson and Kara Mejia